Sunday, 17 February 2013

Magic Lantern

Recently I was looking on some cinematography forums and I noticed somebody mention something called "Magic Lantern". This is a firmware adaptation originally developed for the Canon 5D mark II, to allow cameramen using DSLR's to have complete control over other functions in the camera that would usually be completely inaccessible. These features include complete audio level control, including turning off the cameras automatic gain control, more controllable ISO levels, aided focus, and continuous non-stop filming, useful for our time-lapses.

So even though installing this onto my camera voids my warranty I did my research and all of the reported problems with the cameras after the firmware was installed was a known Canon fault, so I decided to proceed regardless. After I installed the firmware I thought it might be important for me to get to know the ins and outs of this new system and how to use it at its best so I watched a short tutorial to find out what does what and how it is all used and I did test shots in the Sheffield botanical gardens until I felt confident that I could explain to somebody else in detail how to use it in confidence.

Overall I am very happy that I installed this firmware, it is a massive help for filming, the features are all useful and I think this will help us get better quality images on the Liverpool trip.

                                          Some of the features on magic lantern on my 550D

No comments:

Post a Comment